Friday, August 14, 2009

Lazy Veggies

Usually when I'm feeling too lazy to cook in earnest I make a variation on what I call "Lazy veggies".
I set the oven to 450
° season whatever vegetables I have lying around and roast them for 40 minutes.

If I use faster cooking vegetables I'll add them about half way through
so all the vegetables come out cooked the same.

The vegetables that stay in the whole time include the following:

carrots,
squash,
potatoes,
tomatoes,
garlic,
onions,
beets,
eggplant etc.

The half way through vegetables include

zucchini,
asparagus,
broccoli,
summer squash etc.


And obviously you can leverage cooking time by how you cut up the vegetables if you do at all.


Then when they all come out I usually sprinkle on some lemon juice or balsamic vinegar,
some olive oil, and add something like toasted seeds or nuts for texture contrast that's crunchy
and something like yogurt or tahini for texture and temperature contrast, usually smooth and cold.
If I'm feeling coy I may drizzle honey or chili sauce etc. Assuming I'm not feeling too lazy.

Also doing nothing more than cutting the cooked vegetables on a bias
and arranging them such that they fan out
is enough to elevate the presentation to something very appealing
when it would otherwise come off as utilitarian and boring.

So for these lazy veggies I used squash, carrots, tomatoes, tofu, and Garlic.
Massaged some gee on them with plenty of salt and pepper and roasted them for 40 mins.
sprinkled on some lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sunflower seeds,
and paired them with yogurt with chili sauce and honey.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive