Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Black Squid Ink Pasta Vegetable Salad

While I don't believe in recipes or any idea that supposes cooking is about following a list of directions,
I have noticed that over the years I've begun to forget some of the food pairings and cooking techniques
I worked out for myself in years past, and thought I would codify some of the stuff I cook
to remind myself of the outcome of my various culinary experiments.

I've been sort of intrigued by the idea of "shocking" food,
which means to douse something in an ice water bath after cooking.
I've also been curious at trying my hand at a noodle salad type dish,
which I often enjoy when eating out, but for whatever reason never tried to cook myself.

I had a chance to satisfy both points of curiosity today when perusing the isles of an Italian cafe/market,
and a bag of black squid ink pasta caught my eye.
So after work I set about making a dish incorporating it, and the other produce I got for the guys at work.
I only had about a half an hour before everyone would leave for the day,
so I set about making a cold noodle salad thingee in celebration of summer.

I cooked up the Pasta and shocked it in ice water.
sauteed yellow zucchini and white button mushrooms, (shocked them as well) then cut them into chunks,
combined with cubed avocados, lemon juice, salt, and cracked pepper corns and olive oil
then added the vegetable medley to the cold pasta,
and mixed in a generous handful of torn cilantro and parsley and chopped green onions

Then sauteed tomato wedges over high heat with olive oil, salt/pepper
and de-glazed the pan with balsamic vinegar
mixed them into the pasta mixture while still hot
and lightly folded contents together with chunks of goat cheese

Then I whisked together my standard Ali style vinaigrette
of honey, chili sauce, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt
and drizzled it over the pasta. I then toasted some sesame seeds and sprinkled them on top,
and served with toasted whole grain bread.


*please forgive the crappy digital photo. Believe me I'm quite ashamed about it.



1 comment:

Blog Archive