Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Wake Up Eubert!

About five years ago in college, (back when I was young and spry and on an all super burrito diet) I painted a illustration for an online art competition. As most of my work at the time it was whimsical and and poignant, and wistful to the point of saccharine. It stared a sleepy flying snail thing named Eubert.

Flash forward now to 2010 and I get an email out of the blue from someone who came upon the image and wants to buy a print. I thought it over and decided I didn't feel comfortable making money off the naive yet earnest efforts of college era Ali, and coupled with my laziness to print/package/mail etc. I just uploaded a high rez version for the guy free of charge.

In the course of my messages to him I discovered that his name is Eubert! Which I thought didn't exist before I made it up. Explaining at least in part his interest in the piece. Anyway I thought the whole thing funny, nostalgic, and heartwarming. The experience is sure to be safely wrapped and kept in my breast pocket to be reminded of in my more cynical and jaded artistic moments.

Below is the painting I did in college:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive