Monday, May 03, 2010

Triangles


I met with a group of artists yesterday for what's to become a monthly show and tell around a theme. This month the theme was Triangles. To be interpreted in whatever way we each wanted. My approach to this month's theme, and probably any future ones, is to operate as far outside of my comfort zone as possible. So first off I decided to interpret the theme in writing as opposed to visually, with a few lines of verse.

I also wanted to treat my approach differently, and rather than obsessively think about and iterate countless drafts over and over, as I usually do, I decided that I would write my piece entirely on the day of the meetup, and that I could only spend the time I had waiting for a haircut, and on the subway ride over to the meeting. (About 30 mins)

As far as my thought process for the piece itself, when I think triangles I immediacy think math. So in another effort to challenge myself I decided to have everything in the piece be purely abstract and conceptual like math, and to not rely on any imagery (usually the dominate element in my writing).

So here is the final piece finished less than five minutes before I presented it to the group, for all my artificial rule creation it's still pretty much my standard fare:



Obtuse Bottom Baby

With angles that dangle
clatter behind
or else measured out against me
wandering your long length
half the area besides
insides, summed up to turn around
shaken and shuffled
your confusing simplicity
catchy and useful
until i bent back your sides
broke your brittle balance
left you opened and useless
as i need you without me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive