Wednesday, September 26, 2007


No Talking Tuesdays

Yesterday I kicked off no talking Tuesdays.
I didn’t utter a word all day.

I got the idea from an incident in James Kochalka's sketch book diaries
and a day in college when I lost my voice
and wrote things down instead.

I found the experience extremely insightful.
Since then ive wanted to do it every week.

I waited until this week because:

1. I had an artistic/social/emotional awakening
in San Francisco over the weekend
that taught me to trust and commit to my artistic impulses.

2. I’ve worked at Pandemic long enough
for them to rest assured I’m not psycho,
just eccentric.

The twist

To intensify the challenge
and provide a visual paring for my no talking state
I spent the day in a black Chinese air force pilot helmet
I bought from my friend over the weekend.


The goal

To not speak every Tuesday, for the rest of my life.

Tuesdays from now on will be the day I focus on
Listening, observation, pensive tuning,
and not putting my foot in my mouth.

I hope to always have a visual cue to match the day
for now its my fighter pilot helmets
maybe down the road it will be an arm band, eye patch etc.

The List

At the end of the day this is what I had written on my notepad,
in order to communicate with people. (in order)

Im not talking today

Im down, this is your time to shine

Want to eat?

YOU can talk

No talking helmet

Stays!

Halo is based on dark crystal?

China

Wheat
-->salad
Swiss?

Wasn’t Belgium part of France?

Just ask yes or no questions
b/c im lazy

small carrot juice

2 choc chip cookies

Don’t get Skies
Get Grandia

No music is part of the deal

1 comment:

  1. It is my mission now, to spam you youtube videos every Tuesday and get you to talk.

    ReplyDelete