Friday, July 15, 2011

Anime Class

This summer I'm teaching 8-19 year olds how to draw anime and manga. The class is at a community college in Walnut creek.

Apparently anime is all the rage with youngsters, and they had been complaining that there wasn't an anime focused drawing class. So I was enlisted.

Though I must admit, since going to a geeky media arts focused art college, my love affair for anime has rapidly dropped off. Non the less, it's a fairly simple vocabulary of figural abstraction, so I wasn't intimidated at the prospect of teaching a class in it.

Now that I'm a few weeks into the course, I've actually been surprised how much easier drawing in this style is for me than I remembered. Over the last few years my understanding of light, form, line, design, body mechanics, proportion, is vastly improved and I've been surprised to find drawing in this style is much easier than I remember.

Here are a few drawings I did as demos:













No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive