Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Year's Resolutions 2010


Lifestyle & Time Management

In bed by 1am
Continuing my pattern of moving my bedtime back an hour every year.
(Since my abominable college days when I was averaging a six am bedtime.)

Wake up at 8 am
Time to end my lifelong late to bed late to rise style.
To help my post Paris bakery morning fresh bread priorities.

Swim five times a week
I haven't done this since my LA days and miss it.
Plus I do my clearest thinking when I swim, and could use some of that.

Attend more Concerts

Learn a partner dance
IE. swing, tango, salsa, ballroom etc.

Palattes
Resume it.

Nest
Get an apartment and settle down in East bay.

Girlfriend
Stop pointlessly dating and wasting time:
1.Do not continue dating a girl for whom I know things won't work.
2.Reserve physical intimacy and involvement only for when there is long term potential.
3.Create room for a shared narrative.
4.Stop relating to dates as episodes of the Ali-show and defining girls through myself.

Be nicer and more polite to parents
Be more patient and tolerant of nagging.
Engage them more, as opposed to purely reacting to them.

Travel to Japan and England

Japan to make me accountable for my language learning and for the cherry blossom festival.
England to indulge in all things old fashioned and handmade and bookish, and social stuff.

Begin marketing my art and writing
To galleries, competitions, literary magazines, open mikes, selling prints etc.
This is the year I promote my art,
instead of just making it to sit in the closet.
I cringe at the idea of taking time away from making art to hawk it,
but I have to bite the bullet and start allocating time for this, it's time.


Study

Study Japanese
(Become grade school proficient)
I've been struggling with this for too many years.
Time to finally conquer this demon.

Go through all books/notes in library
Copy down all the circled passages and notes I jotted down in the books I've read,
to preserve and make them more accessible for writing and research.

Study chess seriously
Begin studying books/opening theory.
Raise ELO score to 1700


Writing

Ideal economics policy essay
Thoroughly research/analyze and write.
Explaining parallel democratization of choice/defer to specialized authority approach.

Script
Finish rough draft.

Dating book
Outline it.
Time to work this out before all my ridiculous insights fade with my new cool down dating resolution.

Finish micro memoirs for:
Harvesting Mozart
Age liar
Sleepy Russian/Greece revelation/breakup/ bondage carnival
As an extension of the dating book, and to document my more epic romantic traumas for posterity

Revisit/outline Menaqui
Probably not as a game this time,
but I still feel the Nema character and her world has legs,
and worth revisiting and casting into a new shape.

Write paper about indulgent crossroads artistic resolution consequences

Write to favorite artists
To show appreciation.

Tell myself a bedtime story each night as I go to bed
Whatever I remember of it when I wake up I must copy in my sketchbook,
in the form of words and drawings,
and story continues the next night.
Story finally finishes at end of the year fully written and illustrated in serial form


Art

Sculpt self bust

6 oil paintings

Average two pages a day in sketchbook

Paint Anya&Fox and Nema
With new high fidelity digital painting technique.


Film/Photography

Finish Yucatan short
and output Paris and Greece film

New short film
My understanding of film and direction has matured greatly since my young film making days,
time to apply it to some projects that prove it.

Cinematography equipment

Get it and experiment and educate myself with it.


Music

Master scales in all keys
If I expect to maintain my the rate of improvement in my music as it's been the last year.

Record music by year's end




______________________________________________________


* Print and paste this list on bedroom door and near computer monitor.


Check in:

April 1st:
  • Resumed swimming and required sleep schedule
  • Enrolled in palattes
  • In new apartment and nested
  • Submitted to at least one literally publication, gallery, art contest, live performance etc.
  • First three chapters of Japanese workbook
  • Read through one chess book
  • Finish transcribing notebooks organizing notes
  • Gotten into the groove with bedtime story
  • Painted two oil paintings
  • 150 pages in sketchbook
  • Finish character design and lock story for anya&fox
  • Finish prepping Yucatan film
  • Digitize France/Greece film
  • Finish micro memoir for harvesting Mozart
  • All books in library notes and passages transcribed


July 1st:
  • Enrolled in a partner dance class
  • Traveled to Japan
  • Submitted art/writing more
  • Raised elo chess score to 1600
  • Written economic policy essay
  • Script concept fleshed out ready for outline
  • Dating book outline completed
  • Written to favorite artists
  • Sketchbook to 300 pages
  • Finished digital painting of Anya&Fox
  • Finished Yucatan film completely
  • Final shape and concept for France/Greece film
  • Finished micro memoir for age liar
  • Finished a total of four oil paintings


October 1st:
  • Met and become involved seriously with a nice girl
  • Made considerable strides with submitted art/writing
  • Learned scales comfortably in all keys
  • Finished all workbook pages in Japanese 1 textbook, and comfortable with material therein
  • Finished micro memoir for sleepy Russian(...)
  • Finished fifth oil painting
  • Dating book outline fleshed out and have people review it
  • Indulgent crossroads paper finished
  • Menaqui story and have a new outline for it
  • Finished all beats in script outlined and ready for final write up
  • All books in library notes and passages transcribed
  • Acquired all necessary cinematography equipment




2 comments:

  1. enough already! quit boring me! remember when you would cut into my long-winded stories with your elitist minimalist squelching? i recommended walking the walk and then you can tell the tale later. keep this shit to yourself, like masturbation. this is futurbation! (although I thought the bedtime one and Ali-show was quite funny)...i zoned out by number 20.
    nice work combining free will with fate on your to do list....meet life partner after go to bed early and study japanese.

    best of luck in the new year.
    yours truly,
    stanopoulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a chronic future-bater.

    Jeez I can't be self indulgent on my own blog? Tough times.

    I'm hoping fate will notice how well organized I am and throw me a bone in the form of a nice nerdy girl who likes building pillow forts. Oh, oh, fate if you're listening, I would also like a pony and shiny black kung fu pants like Bruce Lee wore.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive